Sunday, July 22, 2007

Teslin, Yukon

We may not be able to blog for a while now. Heading down the Cassiar Hwy tomorrow & they may not have much internet availability. We'll see. Yesterday we took the fast ferry to Juneau. Great trip! The ferry is a catamoran that holds 50 people and they watch for wildlife along the way. Saw some more whales including some Orcas, first time for that. When we left Skagway at 8am, it was raining (so what else is new) but by the time we got to Juneau, 90 miles away, the sun was shining. According to one of our drivers, Juneau only has sun about once every 9 days! So I guess we lucked out. My sister, Bev, was in Juneau the same day on a 10 day vacation to Alaska. Unfortunately she had a boat tour scheduled so I guess we will have to wait to compare our pictures. I'm glad she had a good day for her trip.

Coming across the border this morning, we ran across a not so nice agent. I don't know why but he decided that we must be suspicious people. He pulled us over and searched our entire camper. Told us to stand outside in front of the truck and give him the keys. Then he went thru every cupboard and drawer, including opening up the computer and starting it. He must have asked us 4-5 times if we had any firearms! I know, it's Michael's beard! Makes him look like the redneck he is. Finally after about 1/2 hour, he disappointedly told us we could go. The strange thing is he never checked the truck and it looked like they were pulling over most of the RVs coming thru. It almost seems like they got word to check for something coming out of Skagway. Makes for an interesting story.

No comments: